All the important day’s news in one place! Welcome to the Daily Wrestling News Update, FKA the Daily SteelChair Shot, by Steph Franchomme and John Dinsdale.
Low Ki has officially entered the Opera Cup, stepping in for Shinjiro Otani, who withdrew overnight. Now, two of MLW’s fiercest fighters collide for the first time ever tomorrow night at the Melrose Ballroom. MLW today announced Low Ki vs. Davey Boy Smith Jr in an opening-round match for the Opera Cup this Thursday. The event will be a MLW FUSION TV taping for beIN SPORTS.
The historic opening round of the Opera Cup is global in scale with several countries represented. The “Lone Wolf of Brooklyn” Low Ki has made it his goal to claim the prestigious Opera Cup and he has the credentials to be an instant favourite to go all the way. A former World Heavyweight Champion, Low Ki is the rare athlete who can match Davey Boy Smith’s striking skills, grappling and submission skills.
Tomorrow’s event will feature the return of the Opera Cup tournament after a 71-year hiatus. Featuring 4 opening round bouts, the league has invited some of the best wrestlers from around the world to compete in this one-night single-elimination tournament. Standing in Low Ki’s way is the man whose grandfather last won the Opera Cup in 1948: Davey Boy Smith Jr. Smith along with the Hart family have donated the family heirloom to the league and has revived the historic Opera Cup tournament to celebrate the sport’s history and reintroduce the coveted cup.
Fighting for his family’s legacy and the coveted Opera Cup trophy, Smith promises to match Low Ki hold for hold, move for move and strike for strike as the 2 strong style combatants collide in New York City.
Matches signed thus far:
- CONTRA Unit (Jacob Fatu, Ikuro Kwon & Simon Gotch) vs. Strong Hearts (CIMA, El Lindaman & Shigehiro Irie)
- OPENING ROUND OPERA CUP: Davey Boy Smith Jr. vs. Low Ki
- OPENING ROUND OPERA CUP: MJF vs. Alex Hammerstone
- OPENING ROUND OPERA CUP: Timothy Thatcher vs. Richard Holliday
- OPENING ROUND OPERA CUP: TJP vs. Brian Pillman Jr.
- PRINCE OF DARKNESS MATCH: Jimmy Havoc vs. Mance Warner
- EXHIBITION MATCH: “Filthy” Tom Lawlor vs. A Von Erich
- Konnan will be in the house
Here is a quick summary of yesterday’s AEW Dark.
- Tony Schiavone and Dasha Fuentes welcomed fans.
- Jimmy Havoc defeated Brandon Cutler. Post-match, Havoc grabbed the staple gun again and stapled a $10,000 check on Cutler’s forehead. Backstage, Cutler asked Havoc why he did that? An authority figure of AEW spoke to Havoc and said he can’t do that, and if he continued to, he’ll get fined each time. Havoc didn’t care and reiterated that if he’s going to fight, he’s going to fight.
- Footage of the Dark Order’s recent vignette was shown.
- Last week’s Dynamite Recap.
- Shawn Spears (w/ Tully Blanchard) defeated Sonny Kiss. Post-match, Spears hit the spike piledriver on Kiss on the outside and blew a kiss as he was walking away.
- A Discovery Channel based vignette of Jurassic Express was shown.
- Proud N Powerful (Santana & Ortiz) defeated Jurassic Express (Jungle Boy & Marko Stunt). Post-match, Sammy Guevara made his way down to the ring and helped Proud N Powerful continue their attack on Jurrasic Express. Not too long after, Luchasaurus made his way down. Luchasaurus hit a chokeslam and moon-pressed the Inner Circle. Hager made his way to the ring. He and Luchasaurus had a staredown before Hager struck first. Luchasaurus fired back with a few kicks. Santana and Ortiz got up along with Guevara and kicked Luchasaurus while he was down. The Young Bucks came superkick all of the Inner Circle. Stunt concluded the show by kicking Guevara right in the groin.
All pics and videos courtesy of AEW and MLW