We’re just a few days from Super ShowDown in Saudi Arabia. The Undertaker appeared on RAW yesterday, Goldberg, his opponent at SSD, is set to appear tonight. The chase for the WWE 24/7 title continues and seems to drive mostly R-Truth crazier than he already is. Meanwhile, on Cruiserweight land, Tony Nese is waiting for a new challenger while Drake Maverick is running after the 24/7 belt. Tonight is Nygma time, so let’s not waste any more time and see what went down as we check out SmackDown Live and 205 Live.
Big SmackDown Live things happening this week:
- The New Day in the ring to open the show. Kofi talked about his recent homecoming trip to Ghana and how important it was. Ziggler interrupted him, saying he will beat him on Friday at Super ShowDown. Ziggler said he respects Kofi too much and this isn’t about him, this is about Ziggler. Kofi knocked Ziggler for quitting and walking out when he didn’t get his way, while Kofi never quit on himself, his brothers or the WWE Universe.
- Xavier Woods & Kofi Kingston defeated Kevin Owens & Sami Zayn. After the match, Kofi and Woods were celebrating when Ziggler suddenly hit a superkick out of nowhere on Kofi. Woods also tasted it. Ziggler slowly walked to the back as Kofi and Woods recovered in the ring.
- Backstage in his office. Shane McMahon said there’s speculation on why he had Roman Reigns brutalized on RAW last night, to soften him up for Super ShowDown. He said this all came about because Reigns said Shane doesn’t stand a chance with him in the ring. Shane says that proved he does stand a chance. Shane added anything Reigns can do in the ring, he can do better because he’s the best in the world.
- A Moment of Bliss with Alexa and SmackDown Live Women’s Champion Bayley, with Charlotte Flair and Carmella as special guests. As Bliss wants the title, Charlotte talked to Shane McMahon and he informed her that a match will take place tonight to determine Bayley’s opponent for WWE Stomping Grounds. It will be Flair vs. Bliss vs. Carmella in a Triple Threat.
- R-Truth was compelled not to hide anymore as Shane McMahon set a Lumberjack Match for the WWE 24/7 Title.
- Elias defeated R-Truth to become the new 24/7 Champion.
- R-Truth defeated Elias via pinfall under the ring to become a 4-time 24/7 Champion.
- Aleister Black issued an open challenge last week but maybe it’s cowardice or intelligence that’s keeping anyone from knocking on his door. Black went on and said the pain he inflicts is not exactly our Daddy’s WWE, but until that time came to where somebody, anybody, does come knocking on that door, he shall be sitting here waiting, impatiently, until somebody, anybody, decides to be a man and come knock on the door, and pick a fight.
- Another beatdown for Roman Reigns, thanks to Shane McMahon, Drew McIntyre and The Revival.
- Alexa Bliss defeated Carmella and Charlotte Flair to become the new #1 Contender to the SmackDown Live Women’s Title. Mandy Rose and Sonya DeVille distracted Carmella.
- Lars Sullivan promised to destroy The Lucha House Party at Super ShowDown.
- Andrade w/ Zelina Vega vs. Apollo Crews ended in a no-contest when Andrade attacked Apollo and Finn Balor came to make the save. Andrade tried to make him understand what is going to happen on Friday, him grabbing the IC belt.
- Goldberg said he’s been waiting more than 20 years to see what it would be like to face The Undertaker one-on-one in the ring, now he finally gets the match he’s always wanted. Goldberg said Taker is next… to rest in peace. Lights out, The Undertaker appeared. They faced off and Taker disappeared. Goldberg told Taker to bring his jock strap and tighten it up because this is going to be a ride at Super ShowDown.
We kicked off 205 Live with General Manager Drake Maverick and a vignette promo. Maverick announced that Noam Dar will challenge Akira Tozawa to a matchup tonight. Then, in the main event, Oney Lorcan settles the score with Ariya Daivari.
Big 205 Live things happening this week:
- Akira Tozawa vs. Noam Dar never happened as Drew Gulak attacked Dar, tossed him into the barricade, then dropkicked Dar’s knee into the steel steps. While Tozawa taunted Gulak from the ring and the referees were taking car of Noam Dar, Maverick announced that Gulak will be facing Tozawa right now.
- Drew Gulak defeated Akira Tozawa.
- Mike and Maria Kanellis cut a promo. As “he’s better than the best,” he begged Drake Maverick to send him the best cruiserweights he can, promising to defeat them.
- Cruiserweight Champion Tony Nese said that he’s had to deal with Gulak in the past. He then announces that he’ll let Maverick decide who he thinks he should defend his title against, as he is a fighting champion.
- The Lucha House Party promised they’ll give everything they have to defeat Lars Sullivan on Friday, but questioned why the Singh brothers think they deserve another shot against them.
- Oney Lorcan defeated Ariya Daivari. Post-match, Lorcan celebrated but Daivari charged him. Lorcan pulled down the top rope and Daivari fell to the outside.
MAIN EVENT THINGS
Two matches and a lot of promos on 205 Live this week, way too much. Tony Nese is waiting for a challenger, even if Tozawa and Gulak offered one hell of a match this week. Meanwhile, the Blue Brand show was a gigantic mess, with the only purpose to promote Super ShowDown in Saudi Arabia, airing this Friday at 7 PM GMT on WWE Network, in case you didn’t know… Thanks to Tozawa and Gulak for reminding us what wrestling is REALLY about…
All pics courtesy of WWE.com