Every year IMPACT Wrestling is asking a terrible question for its roster for Thanksgiving: who is going to don the Turkey Suit? This week’s episode is all about Thanksgiving and Eli Drake hosting the 2nd Annual Gravy Train Turkey Trot on Impact. But we’ll also hear about the fate of the X-Division title as Brian Cage announced last week he’s cashing in his Option C, so he’s vacating the championship in exchange for a World Heavyweight Championship match against Johnny Impact at Homecoming on January 6. I’m going to change the rules of the review this week, to focus on these 2 very important questions. So no more words, let’s get ready for some action, but your French Enygma Steph way, of course…
Do you dance the Turkey Trot?
(I eluded the video segments on Thanksgiving, the wrestlers who had the chance to wear the suit before and the flashbacks)
- Fallah Bahh and Eli Drake were introduced as the opposing team captains for the Gravy Train Turkey Trot match. Eli Drake rambled about his greatness and he was the innovator of the Gravy Train Turkey Trot match.
- Fallah Bahh chose the first member of his team, KM. They were excited about the food they were eating for dinner.
- Eli Drake chose his first teammate, Katarina.
- Fallah Bahh and KM choose their 2nd teammate, Kikaturo with his traditional pink mask (Kikutaro is a freelance Japanese professional wrestler who worked for Dragon Gate, Wrestle-1, but also made appearances in Chikara, PWG and ROH).
- Scarlett Bordeaux arrived in the Impact Zone with an entourage of ‘Sexxy Show’ dancers performing for the Vegas audience.
- Eli Drake chose Jake Crist as his 2nd teammate. oVe followed behind Crist and Sami told him that, if he were to lose the match and wear the turkey suit tonight, he could only have onions at the oVe Thanksgiving dinner, as they were gonna eat EVERYTHING else.
- Fallah Bahh and KM chose Dezmond Xavier as his 3rd teammate. Eli Drake chose Rohit Raju.
- Fallah Bahh and KM choose their 4th and final team member, Alisha Edwards, while Eli Drake chose Glenn Gilbertti, aka Disco Inferno, who came to impress Scarlett Bordeaux. Another Vegas citizen, but also a former WCW wrestler that people under 20 can’t know about…
- Eli Drake and his teammates got hyped up for the Gravy Train Turkey Trot match coming up when Scarlett Bordeaux showed up in a pilgrim costume and said that she’ll be scouting for talent tonight.
- Fallah Bahh’s team prepared for the match, with Fallah Bahh continuously saying “Bahh” as though it was a strategy. KM translated the “Bahh”, telling Kikutaro he needed to fight, Dezmond Xavier they needed to fight as a team, and Alisha Edwards ‘Plymouth Rock’. Alisha guaranteed that Katarina would return to England in a turkey suit.
- The Gravy Train Turkey Trot Match: Fallah Bahh, KM, Dezmond Xavier, Kikutaro, and Alisha Edwards defeated Glenn Gilbertti/Disco Inferno, Rohit Raju, Katarina, Jake Crist, and Eli Drake, when Fallah Bahh hit the sitting splash on Disco Inferno.
- Scarlett convinced Glenn Gilbertti/Disco Inferno to wear the turkey suit.
The fate of the X-Division Title
Glenn Gilbertti may have gone on a rant about how he was the creator of the Ultimate X Match and not Don Callis, but the fact is Impact’s Executive Vice-President, and colour commentator, Don Callis received on-screen credit for the idea for the Ultimate X match.
The last Ultimate X match took place back on May 18, 2017, where Low Ki defeated Andrew Everett and Trevor Lee, but this match has been a TNA/Impact classic since 2003. Chris Sabin, Alex Shelley, AJ Styles, Samoa Joe, Frankie Kazarian, Christopher Daniels, Elix Skipper, Petey Williams, among many others, left their bodies and souls in this impressive structure. Because the Ultimate X match is not like a classic TLC or ladder match, it’s way more physical.
Ultimate X is contested by three or more wrestlers of the X Division. Two cables, connected to metal structures rising from the four corners of the ring, cross 15 feet above the middle of the ring. The X-Division is suspended from where the cables cross. The winner is the first person to take possession of the belt. The Homecoming match will the 42nd Ultimate X match. Watch the video below to see what it’s about.
To be eNYGMAtic…
We don’t celebrate Thanksgiving in France, but The Nygma loves traditions. That’s what all this episode was about. The good old Turkey Trot, which is a nice and funny interlude, 6 weeks before a major PPV. And the Ultimate X match that has been a very important part of TNA/Impact Wrestling and the X-Division’s history. A little bird is telling me that Homecoming will be an incredible PPV, stay tuned because the upcoming weeks will bring some very interesting news about… On this positive note, until next week, never EVER forget to stay #eNYGMAtic…
All pics, videos, and screenshots courtesy of Impact Wrestling. Photomontage by @frenchnygma exclusively for @steelchairmag.