Before starting the review, just a few words to tell you, like for Slammiversary XVI, Bound for Glory will air live on Fite TV and Fite app in the UK… isn’t it a great news?
We’re now 8 days away from Bound for Glory, and still in Mexico this week. What can I tell that you don’t already know? If you read my reviews, you know what my expectations are both for the PPV and the weekly shows. On the menu, LAX will do the next move in the chess game they’ve been playing against the OGz. Eli Drake issued an open challenge to any Mexican Dummy. Scarlett Bordeaux is launching her casting. Rich Swann and Matt Sydal will square off again. Su Yung will seek revenge against Kiera Hogan, after her loss last week. So no more words, let’s get ready for some action, but your French Enygma Steph way, of course…
The Nygma’s Chart of the Week
- Matt Sydal defeated Rich Swann, thanks to his new “third eye” friend Ethan Page
- The oVe Creepy Cam unveiled a scared Dave Crist, claiming Pentagon and Fénix have magical powers. Callihan and Jake tried to calm him down. Callihan said in Fenix/Pentagon’s home territory they plan on calling the duo out.
- Eddie Edwards had a call from Moose, coming from his wife’s phone. He requested a meeting.
- Eli Drake launched his open challenge, while Scarlett Bordeaux was coming at the announce table.
- La Parka defeated Eli Drake via count-out, as Eli Drake fled backstage
- LAX OGz showed up in LAX 5150 lair. They took the titles and the flag, The King spit some tequila on Konnan. Konnan didn’t allow Ortiz and Santana go after the OGz as they headed out.
- Backstage, Ethan Page told Swann he had a chance to follow the enlightened Sydal, but he’ll be the one to do it instead. Sydal said Page and him are a tag team. Sydal told Swann to bring any partner he wants at Bound for Glory.
- Murder Clown w/ Katarina defeated Joe Hendry w/ Grado. Post-match, Clown put Hendry on a table in the ring and splashed him through it.
- Eddie Edwards walked into a building to find Moose and Alisha Edwards. She yelled, but Moose told him to drop the kendo stick and had a seat on the other side of a very long table. Edwards wanted Moose to let Alisha go, but Moose passed on that. After some words, Edwards said Moose should just beat him up and let Alisha go. Alisha ended up throwing water in Moose’s face and Edwards stroke. Killer Kross showed up and tried to choke him out, Alisha threw him his kendo stick, he attacked both guys and bailed. Edwards and Alisha ran out of the building, Edwards called Johnny Impact to let him know Austin Aries was currently by himself and Impact should get him. Impact agreed and headed off.
- In the ring, Johnny Impact and Austin Aries had some words, Moose finally joined them but Impact decimated both of them. Johnny hit the Starship Pain on Aries and held up the title.
- Brian Cage did a promo while The Desi Hit Squad was arguing, Gama Singh yelled at them next week they are going to face each to find out who is the weak link.
- Jack Evans, Trevor Lee, Petey Williams and Puma King tried to impress Scarlett Bordeaux. They all argued, she then said maybe they should take it out to the ring and they agree.
- The Lucha Bros Scary Cam showed Fenix and Pentagon saying oVe are not in Ohio and they will see why Fenix and Pentagon Jr. are the best tag team in the world.
- Su Yung defeated Kiera Hogan w/ Allie. Su was about to put Allie in the casket but Kiera made the sacrifice and was tossed in the casket. Allie yelled out for her friend, not another one. Allie broke down backstage.
- Brian Cage, Pentagon Jr. and Fénix defeated oVe by Disqualification. The episode ended up while they were still brawling.
The Nygma’s Nutcracker(s) of the Week
– Rich Swann vs. Matt Sydal
My first thought was, again. But I was sure Impact Creatives had something in mind by making them wrestle again…
They shook hands at first, then Swann attacked, taking Sydal to the floor and hitting a superkick and an apron cannonball. Back in, Swann followed with rights and picked up the pace with and Swann hits a snap mare and a running kick. Sydal sent Swann to the corner and kicked him to the floor. Swann answered back, but Sydal disappeared under the ring.
Sydal then rolled Swann back in the ring and unloaded knee strikes. Swann fired back with strikes and kicks, then hit a hurricanrana and a head kick. Swann connected with the lethal injection and headed up top, but Sydal cut him off and followed him up. Swann countered the head scissors, hit a superkick but Sydal cut him off with a powerbomb off the ropes. Sydal hit a head kick, Swann countered the Chemical Imbalance, hit a kick and headed up top. Sydal distracted the referee as Ethan Page arrived to hit a powerbomb on Swann, allowing Sydal to pick up the win.
– The Eddie Edwards/Moose segment
I’m a huge fan of those cinematic segments that really gave a very different sense to the Rod to Slammiversary XVI. I told you I was missing them, mostly as we’re building up another major PPV. This segment was awesome, with the very long table, Alisha, Killer Kross coming out of nowhere… Those mini-movies really set up the tone for the upcoming PPV matches. Great thing…
– oVe vs. The Lucha Brothers & Brian Cage
After watching that match, without any shadow of a doubt, you know it will be THE Match of the Night at Bound for Glory. Since Slammiversary XVI, and even before, these 6 men literally have carried the weight of Impact weekly shows on their shoulders. And they have done it so well they’ve become essential for the show and the company. They are Impact. We’ve also found out a new side of The Lucha Brothers over the last few weeks, darker and devilish.
Sami said they didn’t want to wait for Bound for Glory. Big brawl to begin, the Lucha Brothers and Cage ran wild. Fénix followed with kicks, but got distracted and cut off by Sami. Sami replied with ground and pound and tagged in Dave. They knocked Cage to the floor and triple teamed Fénix, but he then fought them off and tagged in Cage, who ran wild. It was all about Cage as he tossed around the Crist Brothers at the same time in a single suplex. Sami cut him off and attacked the referee for a DQ.
Post-match, Pentagon hit a lung blower on Dave, Fénix flattened Dave, Jake connected with a spinning power slam into the corner. Cage replied with a jumping knee. Cage then hit a marvel of a dead-lift superplex that took out literally everyone out on the floor. Callihan back up on his feet swang away on Cage. But Fénix connected with a corkscrew plancha/tornillo on the group. Everybody was down now, but that didn’t last long. The brawl continued out on the floor as the show came to an end.
The not-Nygma’s Moment(s) of the Week
– Scarlett Bordeaux
You’re gorgeous, your drive all men crazy, okay… But wrestle, sweetheart, please wrestle…
– The Aries/Impact in-ring segment
I’m the best, no I’m the best… I have big balls, no I have bigger ones… I will defeat you, no I will… Unnecessary, long, and boring. I will just quote Austin Aries, on Johnny’s multiple names: “Your whole career you’ve been trying to put eggs in 15 different Easter baskets, and you haven’t filled one of them yet.”
The Nygma’s Award of the Week
– Alisha Edwards
She has really had the worst possible role in the feud between Eddie and Sami, Eddie and Tommy and now Eddie and Moose. Being the supportive/unsupportive wife. But to be honest, she has been very good at this game. Alisha is not only an awesome wrestler, but she’s also one of her husband’s biggest assets. Eddie Edwards told me in Manchester he was appreciating the fact of working together, me too…
Do you remember the little pink girl, shy and frightened? Me not, because the darker, aggressive and friendly wrestler I’ve been seeing in the ring for a few months now is just amazing. After staying in the casket and seeing her friends Rosemary and now Kiera being tossed into it, she’s been developing a very interesting character I want to see more of in the future.
– Bound for Glory
We’re not in full PPV mode, but this week we all could notice a real improvement in the build-up of Bound for Glory. Six matches are now made, tension has grown up, that’s good, but not enough yet. Just the fact of teasing the 6-Man Tag match between oVe and Cage & Lucha Brothers was great. But where’s the spicy sauce, the magic potion, whatever you want it to be called, that propelled Slammiversary XVI to the top? One last Impact weekly show to hope to feel it…
To be eNYGMAtic…
The tone is set for Bound for Glory. It was time. This time we know where we’re going to go. It will be epic, it will be hardcore, it will be Impact Wrestling. This week’s show was not pretty stacked with action in general, but insane it was when there was. I think I’ve said enough in the different sections of the review not to add anything about this week show. BUT I can add SteelChair Mag will be in full Bound for Glory mode this week, with reviews, interviews, media calls, stakes and predictions. And because you agree with me, of course, I see you next week… And never forget to stay #eNYGMAtic…
Bound for Glory Card (as of Saturday, 11 AM)
- Impact World Championship match: Austin Aries (c) vs. Johnny Impact
- 6-Man “Concrete Jungle Death” match: LAX (Santana, Ortiz & Konnan) vs. LAX OGz (Homicide, Hernandez & The King)
- oVe rules match: The Lucha Brothers (Pentagon Junior & Fénix) and Brian Cage vs. oVe (Sami Callihan, Dave & Jake Crist)
- Singles match: Eddie Edwards vs. Moose
- Impact Knockouts Championship Match: Tessa Blanchard vs. Taya Valkyrie
All pics, videos, and screenshots courtesy of Impact Wrestling. Photomontage by @frenchnygma exclusively for @steelchairmag.