A surrealistic title, I know, but you’ll soon understand why… We’re officially on The Road to Homecoming, we have many pages to turn until January 6, 2019, but we’ll do that together. The post-Bound for Glory Chapter had a slow start last week, but one page at a time… On the menu this week, an instant classic, like Josh Mathews called it, as World Champion Johnny Impact is putting his title on the line against long-time friend Fénix. Gama Singh will face off Rohit Raju, Su Yung vs. Kiera Hogan and Fallah Bahh & KM vs. Killer Kross & Moose were announced. We’ll also hear from Knockouts Champion Tessa Blanchard. So no more words, let’s get ready for some action, but your French Enygma Steph way, of course…
The Nygma’s Chart of the Week
- Scarlett Bordeaux sat on a sofa on stage to scout talents while Sami Callihan, with Dave & Jake Crist, was defeating Trevor Lee. Brian Cage arrived after the match and took the bat from Sami. Cage handed him the bat back and hit an F5. The Crist brothers saved Sami from The Drill Claw.
- The King had a plan, even if he was asked not to touch Konnan.
- While Gama Singh was working out backstage, Eli Drake came to the announce table. Don Callis said he couldn’t be out here, due to his lawsuit against the company. Drake threatened him and took over on commentary.
- Impact World Tag Team Champions LAX defeated The Heavenly Bodies, Desirable Dustin and Gigalo Justin.
- Tessa Blanchard confronted Taya for her comments last week. Tessa said she didn’t need shortcuts and will put the title on the line and beat Taya again next week. Taya accepted.
- While Konnan was praising LAX, they ran into Matt Sydal and Ethan Page. Sydal talked about third eye and Konnan accused him of taking hallucinogens but respected how he stepped up to them. LAX was not impressed.
- A black-leathered Moose was backstage with Killer Kross telling McKenzie Mitchell about their opponents of the night. Kross said that he is a “freight train of annihilation and the destination is Doomsday.” Tick, tock…
- Nice video package on Fénix, his path, Konnan, Lucha Underground and his relation with his brother, Pentagon Junior.
- Willie Mack said that while Rich Swann brought him in, as backup Willie Mack wants his debut match against Rich. They cheered and the match was on for next week.
- Gama Singh defeated Rohit Raju, thanks to another wrestler who’s meant to become Raju’s new partner.
- Johnny Impact told McKenzie Mitchell he put over Fénix as a talented performer and friend. But tonight they face off for the World Championship, and while Fénix is inspiring, Impact will fight with all he has to keep his title.
- Scarlett Bordeaux was in a bathtub watching horribly embarrassing “fan talent auditions.”
- Killer Kross & Moose defeated KM & Fallah Bahh. After the match, Moose & Eddie Edwards brawled onto the roof of the building. Moose laid in kendo shots and tried to toss Eddie off the roof, but Eddie stopped him. Eddie strangled Moose’s eyes, got the kendo stick and beat on Moose, who ran away.
- New promo on Jordynne Grace coming soon.
- Eddie Edwards thanked his bamboo friend Kenny for always being there for him. Alisha arrived and called him crazy. He kissed her and left.
- Su Yung defeated Kiera Hogan w/ Allie.
- Impact World Champion Johnny Impact defeated Fénix. Post-match, the OGz arrived and attacked Fénix, big brawl, Homicide had the ghetto fork but Pentagon arrived and ran them off. Meanwhile backstage, Killer Kross told about people calling him crazy, which offended him. He was talking to Johnny Impact, who he had laid out, the red-crossed card laying on him.
The Nygma’s Nutcracker(s) of the Week
– Impact World Championship match: Johnny Impact (c) vs. Fénix
These 2 guys have known each other very well. In order to settle Johnny Impact as a defending babyface Champion, Fénix was the good man. At least, we were sure to have a Lucha Libre, high-flying style match…
After some lock-ups and counters, Johnny hit a head kick and they worked into a standoff. They locked up again, Johnny tried to ground the action, but Fénix countered into another standoff. They traded chops and strikes, teased flying attacks until Fénix hit an enzuigiri and a running springboard high cross. Johnny cut him off with a side Russian leg sweep and a Chuck kick. After the break, Impact transitioned a cradle into the cross-face.
Fénix fought to his feet and hit a jawbreaker. They worked up top and Fénix hits the super hurricanrana. Impact fell to the floor, Fenix fired up but Impact cut off the dive with a standing Spanish fly. Impact took Fénix to the corner, connected with strikes, but Fénix laid in chops and followed with a bridging German suplex. Impact hit a dropkick, a running knee and the standing Shooting Star Press, before heading up top. He rolled through on the elbow, but then hit the Moonlight Drive.
Fénix fired back with kicks, hit the springboard headbutt, headed up top and hit another springboard headbutt. Fénix followed with a rolling elbow, some chops, and brought Johnny up top. Impact fired back with kicks, Fénix countered the tornado DDT and hit a leaping spin kick. Fénix brought Johnny up top again, but Impact countered the muscle buster with a tornado DDT and hit the Starship Pain for the win. Johnny posed with the title and gave Fénix a handshake. Johnny left the ring pointing at Fénix, nodding approvingly.
– Su Yung vs. Kiera Hogan w/ Allie
Kiera Hogan, like Allie, visited the Undead Realm. If Allie came back from it different, will Kiera be as “disturbed”?
Hogan attacked during Yung’s entrance and ran wild with a hurricanrana and a running kick. Yung stunned her off the ropes and followed with kicks and a draping neck breaker. Yung got her glove but Hogan fought her off, hit some clotheslines and a superkick. Yung fired back with palm strikes and they fought to the ramp. Allie saved Hogan and then got afraid and backed away and ran backstage. Hogan fired back but, back in, Yung hit the draping pedigree and the Panic Switch for the win. If Kiera survived the Undead Realm, I’m not sure Allie did…
– Killer Kross & Moose vs. Fallah Bahh & KM
With or without Austin Aries, these 2 guys can stand tall. Fashion Police wise, Moose is still on my radar (it seems like he was out of an SM party with his leather jacket…).
Moose and KM brawled to begin, with KM controlling until Moose strangled his eyes and tagged in Kross. They battled back and forth until Bahh tagged in and hit a corner splash. Bahh looked for a steamroller, KM hit one, Bahh followed. They worked over Moose and Bahh hit a people’s foot stomp. KM then took out Kross & Moose with a tope. Kross’ back was bleeding as Bahh hit a high cross from the apron onto Moose & Kross.
Back in, Kross fired up and Moose cut off Bahh, allowing Kross to attack. Moose tagged in and followed with ground and pound on Bahh. Bahh replied with the running crossbody. Moose now bit Bahh, tagged in Kross who followed with knee strikes and the armbar. Moose back in followed with kicks. Moose laid in strikes, Bahh replied with a belly-to-belly suplex. Kross back in knocked KM to the floor. Bahh hit a Samoan drop, but Eddie Edwards attacked Moose and dragged him to the back. Bahh tagged KM in, got posted, allowing Kross to choke out KM for the win.
The not-Nygma’s Moment(s) of the Week (or the Nygma’s Broken Record Moment of the Week)
– Scarlett Bordeaux (for her entire body of work)
Scarlett on a sofa, Scarlett in a bathtub… ENOUGH!!!! Scarlett in a ring, please… If she can do it in Lucha Libre AAA, in Mexico, maybe she can try on Impact…
– The Desi Hit Squad
This team has been a failure since the very beginning. The addition of a new guy will not help save what this faction was meant to be or represent. With all the respect due to Gama Singh, I don’t understand what they’re trying to do with him. He worths so much better than that.
– Matt Sydal and Ethan Page
Two amazing wrestlers trapped into a bad gimmick… What am I supposed to add? With all the respect due to Matt Sydal and his brother Mike, they know, as I know, what opening your third eye means. What Impact is doing of it is a mockery. That’s bad.
The Nygma’s Award of the Week
– “Crazy” Eddie Edwards & Kenny
Kenny, the kendo stick… Eddie Edwards told me he was enjoying this new character. This reinvention is just amazing, he’s talking to his kendo stick (as long as he’s not calling Alisha Kenny, I think it will be ok…), he’s doing absolutely what he wants when he wants. And, at the same time, he’s never been better in a ring. Be mad, Eddie, I’m with you.
– LAX 5150
Even if they were booked against jobbers this week, Santana and Ortiz proved the world why they’re World Champions. The connexion between this 2 men is just mind-blowing. Let’s be honest, Impact’s Tag Team Division is not very stacked, as of today. Whoever LAX will square off with, they will reign supreme. So be it…
– Killer Kross
Call me crazy too, if you want, but I won’t be offended. Very few wrestlers are able to be as good in the ring as on the microphone. Killer Kross is one of them. His range is absolutely stunning, as scary as his character may be. Can’t get enough of the man, the wrestler, and the Killer…
To be eNYGMAtic…
As I’m writing this review, I can’t believe less than 100.000 people watched this episode in the USA. Do they really know what they are missing? Because after pushing the button “reset” last week, Impact pushed the “move forward” one this week. We moved on storyline wise, we had a hell of a main event. This episode was solid on every level, things were going in the right direction, and the road to Homecoming was really taking shape, slowly but surely.
Many people think Impact Wrestling is not an A-show or an A-promotion. Once and for all, as I’ve been sticking to this review for nearly 18 months, Impact is an A-Show, Impact is wrestling, action and talent. So I will continue to write this review, week after week, as busy as I may be, as tired as I may be. Because I’m a stubborn woman and because I love this company (and it seems the reverse is true…) with all my heart and soul. Believe me or not, read me or not, but The Nygma says: Watch Impact. On this protesting note, until next week, never EVER forget to stay #eNYGMAtic…
All pics, videos, and screenshots courtesy of Impact Wrestling. Photomontage by @frenchnygma exclusively for @steelchairmag.