Your Nygma is on Cloud 9 this week. I was lucky to be in Manchester last Sunday, with some of you, at Wrestling MediaCon to witness the return of Impact Wrestling in the UK. The show was outstanding, the wrestlers were incredible, you were awesome. I’m extremely grateful for this opportunity I was given to meet the wrestlers I’ve been writing about every week, but also to talk to you who recognized my voice or are just fellow readers.
But let’s come back to the Impact Zone. We’ll hear from Johnny Impact who suffered a tough beatdown from the hands of Moose, Killer Kross and Austin Aries. We’ll see if Konnan and The King will hold their promise of a cease-fire. Two matches on the menu too, the Lucha Brothers will square off with The Cult of Lee and Kongo Kong will face off X-Division Champion Brian Cage. So no more words, let’s get ready for some action, but your French Enygma Steph way, of course…
The Nygma’s Chart of the Week
- Moose, Austin Aries, and Killer Kross talked in the middle of the ring, sitting on golden couches. KM & Fallah Bahh arrived. Aries mocked Bahh for being fat and then apologized, saying it’s 2018 and you can’t fat shame anymore. KM said they were motivated and here to speak their minds on them. Aries offered Bahh a shot at the World Title the same night. KM told Bahh not to trust him, but Bahh and Aries already shook hands.
- The Lucha Brothers, Fénix & Pentagon Jr, defeated The Cult of Lee, Caleb Konley & Trevor Lee. oVe appeared on screen after the match and challenged the brothers and Cage for a 3-Man match at Bound for Glory.
- KM and Fallah Bahh tried to find an ally in Eli Drake backstage. Allie explained why she helped Tessa Blanchard last week, but Tessa said she owed her nothing.
- Alisha Edwards defeated Katarina Leigh, thanks to a distraction by Grado and Joe Hendry.
- Scarlett Bordeaux helped Fallah Bahh find inspiration in her Smoke seduction
- Johnny Impact told Josh Matthews in an on-screen interview his neck and elbow were damaged last week when he was attacked by Moose, Kross and Aries. But hopefully, he’ll back in time for Bound for Glory.
- Impact World Tag Team Champions LAX with Konnan defeated The Fraternity, Channing Decker & Trent Gibson. After the match, the OGz came to tease the 5150 but Konnan stopped his boys.
- Rich Swann was giving a pep talk to Fallah Bahh when Matt Sydal arrived and talked to him about enlightenment again.
- X-Division Champion Brian Cage defeated Kongo Kong. After the match, Cage announced he was accepting oVe’s challenge.
- Impact World Champion Austin Aries, with Moose and Killer Kross, defeated Fallah Bahh, with KM. But after the match, Kross, Moose and Aries beat down Bahh and took out KM with the same chair attack that destroyed Eddie Edwards and Johnny Impact the last 2 weeks.
The Nygma’s Nutcracker(s) of the Week
– Brian Cage vs. Kongo Kong
Even if I’m not a fan of big men matches, I was expecting a lot of this one. Because these 2 men are not like any other big men, they can fly.
Kongo attacked right away, overpowered Cage before cutting off a dive. Kongo then hit a cross body over the ropes from the ramp and connected with an ushigoroshi. Kongo headed up top but Cage followed him up. Kong pushed him away and then missed the splash. Cage rallied with a powerslam and a springboard moonsault. Cage fought off a chokeslam, tripped Kongo into the ropes but he stopped an attempt of 619. The cannonball followed. Cage caught Kongo in the corner and hit a sit-out powerbomb outta nowhere. Kongo cut off a clothesline, Cage hit a backflip to get out of a chokeslam and shrank Kongo with the discus lariat. The F5 connected for the win.
– Austin Aries vs. Fallah Bahh
What could have been an ugly match or a quick disqualification bout was, in fact, a real wrestling match. And a surprisingly good one.
They stalled a bit to begin. Aries then worked a headlock, Bahh countered. Aries picked up the pace and frustrated Bahh who grabbed a headlock, Aries tried to escape with elbows and strikes. after the break, Aries was mocking Bahh. They locked up and Aries again worked a headlock. Bahh escaped and hit a shoulder tackle. Aries slapped him, Bahh got frustrated again and laid in chops on Aries, up to the mat. Aries to the apron hit some slingshots back in and then strangled Bahh’s eyes.
Aries connected with a chop block and grounded things with knee drops. He followed with rights and kicks. Bahh tried to counter the sunset flip but missed.
Aries maintained control, played with Bahh, teased the brainbuster, but Bahh fought him off. He hit a suplex and some strikes. Aries avoided the corner splash but ran into a Samoan drop. Bahh went for the banzai drop but Aries cut him off and attacked the legs. Bahh rallied with a belly-to-belly suplex but Aries countered the Horror movie moment, sorry the steamroller, into the Last Chancery. Bahh made the ropes, fought off the brainbuster, and wiped out Aries with a running crossbody. Bahh again went for a banzai splash but got distracted by Kross and Moose. Aries hit a sunset bomb and The Last Chancery. Bahh tapped out.
– The Lucha Bros vs. The Cult of Lee
The match itself was not really sexy but when the Brothers are in action, you take it…
Lee and Pentagon started off but the Lucha Brothers quickly cleared the ring. After the commercials, Fénix was working over Lee and hit a missile dropkick. Lee cut off the cutter and worked some double team moves until Pentagon Jr made the save, but he was also quickly cut off. Konley connected with rights, worked over Fénix, tagged in Lee. Double team work followed until Pentagon again made the save. Konley grounded Fénix and raked his back. Lee and Konley continued to isolate Fénix, but he fought them off and hit the double cutter.
Pentagon was finally tagged in and the Brothers connected with some high-flying double team moves. Pentagon laid in chops on Konley, but Lee made the save. The Cult of Lee hit a Doomsday double stomp. The Lucha Bros looked to take control, but Pentagon Jr was dumped outside and then took out Konley. Fénix followed with a dive and Pentagon hit the super backstabber. The double stomp/package piledriver combo finished the match.
The not-Nygma’s Moment(s) of the Week
If she’s a wrestler, and that’s the case, let her wrestle…
In this week’s episode of The Young and The Restless, Grado was too upset to talk after what happened last week. Hendry said Grado couldn’t even eat and had lost weight. So he gave Katarina a proper response with a video, titled “Access Denied,” making fun of her “pirate brother” and letting Katarina know she wasn’t getting any of the Scottish sausages. One word, ENOUGH!!
LAX vs. LAX
If The King is decided to tease the end of the cease-fire every week, it’s going to be boring with time. And the match set-up for Bound for Glory could lose any kind of interest. Mostly if The King is gutsy enough to puke sentences like “I regret that the little kid Richie that we hit with the car is still breathing” week after week.
The Nygma’s Award(s) of the Week
I appreciated that Bahh was given a chance at the World Title. He’s a fan favourite and, to be honest, we never really had the chance to see what he was really about. Impact Wrestling could have made of this match a segment to establish Aries’ power even more, but Bahh was offered a 16-minute real wrestling match. Well done.
Impact Wrestling Hall of Fame
In announcing the return of the Hall of Fame, with the name of the inductee set to be revealed next week, the company is doing something good. Last year, many fans expressed their regrets not to see James Storm receive the accolade as we all knew he was about to leave. But at that time, the company was a full mess.
As far as who will be inducted, I have an inkling… But you’ll have to wait until next week to know if I was right or wrong…
The 6-Man Tag Team Match at Bound for Glory
After so many confrontations between the Lucha Bros and oVe, the storyline needed something more to remain interesting. With the addition of Brian Cage, the opportunities have suddenly become endless. This confrontation could easily be BFG’s match of the night…
To be eNYGMAtic…
As Impact Wrestling just announced Bound for Glory is sold-out, exactly one month before the PPV, all that we can expect is the best. And it seems like we’re on the good road for it. This was not the most interesting episode, wrestling wise, but Impact Wrestling is slowly but surely building a strong PPV. The answer will come in 4 weeks and, until then, Impact Wrestling would have tapped some new episodes from Mexico. We can expect many Lucha Libre AAA talents to be back. Give me a little time to clean up my crystal ball and you’ll have all the answers in the upcoming reviews… And because you agree with me, of course, I see you next week… And never forget to stay #eNYGMAtic…
All pics, videos, and screenshots courtesy of Impact Wrestling. Photomontage by @frenchnygma exclusively for @steelchairmag.