For those who didn’t read RAW review, this year Survivor Series will be an all Red vs. Blue PPV. Champions of each brand will square off and 2 traditional elimination 5-on-5 matches have already been announced, a men’s match and a women’s match. And so yesterday, SmackDown Live roster brought RAW under siege (splendid Braveheart meets West Side Story moment…). Shane McMahon is also back tonight and will have a lot to say about this siege, and Sami Zayn’s behaviour at Hell in a Cell.
Welcome to the most must-see Vulture Hound weekly review in history; welcome to… The SmackDown Review, brought to you this week by Miss “Doctor Frenchy” Steph.
SmackDown Live Commissioner Shane McMahon is back and is still alive. The show opened with him, the crowd welcomed him with loud chants. He explained he has been undergoing some serious physical rehab over the past few weeks but he’s glad to be back and in charge. He explained the RAW ransacking by the fact Survivor Series is the only time in a year RAW and SmackDown Live could go head-to-head. And because he learned at a young age that it’s always best to strike first in a big fight, he and some of the SmackDown Live Superstars ransacked RAW yesterday. If Shane kindly answered Kurt Angle’s need of a TLC opponent for The Demon, he didn’t allow Styles to stay for another night on RAW. So Shane attacked and the “Under Siege” was unleashed. So RAW was caught by surprise but Shane guaranteed SmackDown Live won’t be caught the same way because the Blue show is ready to welcome a Red attack.
Here came Sami Zayn, smiling and dancing way more than usual (he may be the worst heel ever, but it works). Zayn tried to provoke Shane, offering a handshake, saying there are no hard feelings for what happened at Hell In a Cell. But Shane replied there are hard feelings and he will address those at a later date. Shane asked Sami if he thought about The Commissioner’s safety when he pulled Kevin Owens to safety. Shane said Sami even added insult to injury when he pulled Owens on top of him for the pin. So there are a lot of hard feelings. Zayn replied if he was in the ring as a competitor, and not as Commissioner, he would take him out and leave him hurting worse than at Hell in a Cell. Sami told Shane to take it easy and maybe all that is for another day. Sami informed Shane he and his “brother” Kevin Owens will be a part of the SmackDown Live Survivor Series team and put the brand on their shoulders. Zayn told Shane wants them to, because he’s not a stupid man, except when he jumps off cages like he does. But Shane said no, he didn’t want or need them to represent SmackDown at Survivor Series but what he will give them a chance. Sami will just have to defeat his opponent tonight and he will be the first person on the team. Sami was happy until Shane told him he had to square off with Randy Orton tonight.
HERE ARE THE OTHER THINGS THAT HAPPENED:
– Chad Gable and Shelton Benjamin defeated The New Day. The Usos were at the announce table to witness what their #1 contenders were capable of.
The New Day vs. Shelton Benjamin and Chad Gable
Back from the break and SmackDown Tag Team Champions The Usos are on commentary. The New Day is out first for the match. The #1 contenders Shelton Benjamin and Chad Gable are out next. Nice match, good chemistry between Gable and Benjamin. Mostly when Benjamin kicked Woods in the back of the head while the referee wasn’t looking and gave the pin to Gable.
– Backstage Charlotte Flair, Lana, Tamina Snuka, Becky Lynch and Naomi were talking when Carmella appeared. Ellsworth was missing. SmackDown Live General Manager Daniel Bryan told them all they will be on the Women’s team at Survivor Series. Lana pointed out there were 6 and Bryan said she was not in the match and announced a Fatal 5 Way for tonight with the winner becoming Team Captain.
– When The Fashion Files met Reservoir Dogs, Breezango found The Ascension retaining James Ellsworth tied up. Someone saw him with the missing briefcase, so they wanted to cut off his chin to see what he was hiding. Carmella appeared with her Money In the Bank briefcase and insulted Ellsworth for not doing his job. A pair of Ellsworth’s dirty underwear was got out of the briefcase. The Ascension then tried to convince Breezango that “The Bludgeon Brothers” Erick Rowan and Luke Harper were the ones to blame for everything. Next week Fashion Files will be inspired by Stranger Things. Could this segment be even stranger than it is?
– Backstage, Daniel Bryan asked Shane why he wasn’t informed of RAW invasion. Shane said the idea was to strike first and show RAW who was the boss. Bryan wasn’t sure if he agreed with Shane’s decision. But Shane replied sometimes he has to take action and make things happen, as it’s in his job description. But Bryan added giving his input to Shane is in his job description.
– Sin Cara defeated United Stated Champion Baron Corbin by DQ when Corbin refused to stop unloading strikes on Sin Cara in the corner, despite the referee’s warning. Good match from Sin Cara who countered Corbin’s brutal style with aerial moves. Corbin hit The End of Days on the floor after the match and fans not only liked that, they asked for another one…
– The Singh Brothers and Jinder Mahal replied to Paul Heyman’s reply. Mahal called Heyman a liar, as he has earned everything that he has in WWE. He confirmed if he’s not Lesnar’s equal or counterpart, he’s Lesnar’s worst nightmare and he will prove it to everyone at Survivor Series. His loyal brother “Sunil Singh” was destroyed by AJ Styles, even with a distraction from Samir Singh. 5-seconds match… Samir Singh will face AJ next week, another 5 seconds?
– Backstage Owens revealed to Zayn that he has a Survivor Series qualifying match against Shinsuke Nakamura next week. Sami said he will win tonight and then Owens will win next week, so Team SmackDown becomes Team Kevin & Sami. Owens corrected him, it will become Team Sami & Kevin. Owens left as Sami couldn’t believe how great of a guy he’s (he will betray him, one way or another…)
– Becky Lynch became SmackDown Live Survivor Series Team Captain of the 5-on-5 Traditional Elimination Match. Natalya was there, James Ellsworth and Lana too. Massive brawl in and out of the ring. Every woman had her chance but in the end, Carmella argued with the referee, allowing Becky to connect with the Disarmher.
– New vignette for Erick Rowan and Luke Harper’s return as The Bludgeon Brothers (who the hell found this name…) as Renee Young was interviewing Dolph Ziggler. He claimed Roode was nothing but an entrance and unable to hang with the greatest performer in WWE history. Roode appeared and proposed a 2 of 3 Falls match for next week. Ziggler hoped Roode’s ego could take being damaged twice in one night. Roode told Renee he has a feeling next week will be absolutely glorious.
In the main event, Randy Orton and Sami Zayn fought for the right to be the Team Captain for SmackDown Live at Survivor Series. Interesting match, nice moves from both men. Zayn even tried to use the announce table but Orton knocked him down onto it from mid-air. Zayn really had the match in the palm of his hands when Kevin Owens appeared. As the referee was arguing with Owens, Orton gave back to Sami what he got last week, a low blow, hit the RKO and got the win.
After the match, Owens stared at Orton from the ramp while Zayn was recovering. Meanwhile backstage, Shane and Daniel Bryan reflected on a successful show and RAW not striking tonight. But Bryan reminded Shane it will happen and Shane had better be ready for that, as it’s in his job description.
Nothing bad to say about that episode, good action, the Survivor Series storyline is taking shape slowly but surely. When is RAW going to invade SmackDown Live? Next week maybe, or maybe not…
All pics and screencaps courtesy of WWE.com