Welcome to the most must-see Vulture Hound weekly review in history; welcome to… The SmackDown Review, brought to you this week by your Doctor Frenchie, Steph (yes, her, again…)
After last week’s announcements, two questions are in everyone’s mind as SmackDown Live is about to begin: of the 6 participants announced for Money in The Bank Ladder Match, who can prevail ? And is a Women’s Money In the Bank Ladder Match possible ?
On paper, Dolph Ziggler is the most experienced man, with 5 participations and a win in 2012. Sami Zayn and Kevin Owens participated in the 2015 edition, as Nakamura, Corbin and Styles have never been apart of.
WWE never wanted to associate the words “women” and “ladder” in the same sentence related to a possible match. With the Women’s Revolution in full force and effect, a Women’s Money in The Bank Ladder Match would be a major statement and a way to say “women can do everything like men”.
Before giving you any answers, the show begins with The Highlight Reel, well the Kevin Owens version of it. He says he’s the new host as he’s the new Face of America. He slams Jericho who may have invented the Money in the Bank match but never win it. What Owens will do in 3 weeks to become the face of the entire WWE, holding both United States and WWE Championships. Owens introduced his guest The Artist Shinsuke Nakamura. Owens says he doesn’t care if Nakamura is a rockstar and has enough of his stupid little dancing. He wants to reveal his mystery, show who he is, why he is here and what his future holds in WWE. Owens reminds Nakamura the last Superstar who claimed to be a Rockstar was Chris Jericho and he and his scarf are now retired, thanks to him. He promises Nakamura if he shows up at Money in The Bank, that will be the day when his music dies. Baron Corbin interrupts Nakamura as he was about to answer. Corbin says how about we show some actual highlights from a real Superstar with a replay of his attack on Sami Zayn last week. Owens doesn’t appreciate the interruption and the highlights as he has been beating Zayn up for 15 years. He asks Corbin to leave but he prefers to ensure Owens he will continue to make highlights until he wins The Money in The Bank match. Nakamura reminds the two he defeated Owens last week and Corbin was quickly defeated twice by Zayn. Owens and Corbin start to beat down Nakamura. sami Zayn runs to save Nakamura and both clears the ring. Sami then takes the mic and proposes a tag team match right now.
HERE IS SOME OTHER SHIT THAT HAPPENED:
– Shinsuke Nakamura and Sami Zayn defeated Baron Corbin and Kevin Owens. Impressive performance by both Zayn and Nakamura who had control of most of the match. Zayn sent Corbin into Owens which led to a yell-and-punch ending between the two. Nakamura just had to hit a Kinshasa on a distraught Owens for the pin. After celebrating, both Zayn and Nakamura stared at the briefcase with the same look of desire.
– The Usos asked for competition as they decimated the Tag Team division. No problem, here comes the New Day. They’re back and ready to rock The Blue brand. The Usos claimed they have the tag team division on lock. Big E told them as far as the SmackDown Tag Team Titles go, they like them and they want them. Woods then announced them The Usos would have special opponents at Money in The Bank PPV as The New Day will have a chance for the SmackDown Tag Team titles against The Usos.
– In the latest edition of The Fashion Files with Breezango, their office was destroyed, so they had a new case to take care of.
– The Fatal 5-Way Elimination Match between Charlotte Flair vs. Carmella vs. Natalya vs. Tamina Snuka vs. Becky Lynch never took place as the girls started to argue before the bell rang. A massive brawl started in and outside the ring. Natalya mounted Charlotte with strikes and suplexes, before Tamina hit a Samoan Drop on the Queen. Becky threw Carmella into the timekeeper’s area and then came over the barrier with a flying forearm. Tamina cleaned the announce table and grabbed Charlotte to throw her in, but Charlotte countered by sending Tamina into the ring post. Charlotte rose to the top and nailed a huge moonsault on both Tamina and Natalya. Meanwhile, Becky hit the Bexploder on Carmella. The street-fight-style brawl ended when Charlotte threw Natalya into the ring steps and then powerbombed her into the announce table. The crows was on fire, ringside is devastated and the match never began.
SmackDown Commissioner Shane McMahon arrived and said because the competition is so crazy, he wants to do something really big, first and historic. At Money in The Bank PPV, on June 18, Charlotte, Natalya, Tamina, Carmella and Becky will compete in the first-ever Women’s Money In the Bank Ladder Match for the opportunity to receive a contract to challenge for the WWE SmackDown® Women’s Championship anytime within the next year (we saw later the only one who was not happy of this announcement was Naomi as she’s not going to be apart of the match, but is going to be the target of it, anywhere, anytime. Someone will have to catch her when she’s down and vulnerable but that’s not going to happen).
– Breezango defeated the Colons, as Breeze and fandango thought they destroyed their office. Water guns, Little Miss Breeze in her beautiful dress, mops and Janitor Breeze were involved to distract the Colons and give the win to Breezango.
– Randy Orton talked about his loss against Jinder Mahal, how he had been defeating top names over the last 17 years and how his grandfather would slap him, if he was alive, after losing the WWE Title to a guy like Jinder Mahal. Orton said Mahal earned a good old fashioned Orton family American ass kicking. On June 18th, Orton will become a 14-time Champion, he claimed it’s his only option. Mahal interrupted him, telling him he was disrespecting his own family while raising the title as The Singh Brothers applauded.
In the main event, Dolph Ziggler sent Styles ribs-first into the ring post early in the match. AJ takes control of the match but Ziggler had all the tricks to get out of Styles’ repertoire. Styles attempts a few Styles Clash but Ziggler countered them every time. Styles then blocked a Zig-Zag with a backbreaker. Both men are down but Ziggler is still eager for fight. Despite all his efforts, Styles was knocked off the ropes by Ziggler as he was ready for a Phenomenal Forearm. Ziggler gets the win with a Superkick. AJ Styles was yesterday the new victim of the “hometown-boy-never-wins-at-home” syndrom in what was still a very good match.
TO SUM UP:
Ladies breaking down the tables, The New Day finally rocking the Blue Tag Team division, Zayn and Nakamura electrifying the ring, yesterday SmackDown’s house was on fire ! Most of the matches were of Pay-per-view level, the Blue brand is keeping the pace we love to see it follow. Ziggler made a statement by defeating AJ Styles in his hometown State. And History is about to be made as Women Superstars are going to have their own Money in The Bank match. Money in The Bank PPV is in less than 3 weeks, who are going to climb the ladder and grab the briefcases ? Even the best crystal ball would be unable to tell you… for the moment let’s hope the upcoming episodes will be of the same quality as tonight.
All pics courtesy of WWE.com