The VH Weekly News Round-Up (15/10/2017)

Hello and welcome to VultureHound‘s weekly news round-up, where we bring you the biggest and best news to come out of the film industry every Sunday.

In this segment, we generally run through some of the developments and releases to come out of Hollywood during the week, whether that be trailers or production details. While this week, as always, does have that, we’re first going to take a moment to talk about something that is far more important. In case you’ve been missing out, one of the major Hollywood developments of the past few days has been centred around…

Harvey Weinstein 

Harvey Weinstein / Picture courtesy of Reuters – Mike Blake

Harvey Weinstein is a big name in the film industry; having produced hits such as Shakespeare in Love and Gangs of New York, and with an ‘executive producer’ credit on more than 130 films. And now, like Donald Trump before him, a claim of harassment has opened the floodgates, revealing the various sickening acts that Weinstein has been committing for several decades.

Although rumours flitted throughout Hollywood for years that Weinstein could be somewhat unsavoury in his behaviour, for the most part, the producer was generally well-regarded. However, in the past few days, various women in Hollywood have revealed startlingly similar encounters that they’ve had with Weinstein. Many recall being invited to meet Weinstein for a meeting, screening or even a party, only for things to quickly take a sordid turn. Instead of whatever occasion or destination they were originally meant to meet him at, they would be summoned to a hotel room, where Weinstein would usually confront them wearing a bathrobe (if anything at all), and ask them for a massage.

His stature, both physically and in regards to his position in the industry, made a lot of women feel threatened and unsure of how to respond to some of his requests. The general fear was that to deny Weinstein would be to end your career. Gwenyth Paltrow, for instance, has spoken of how, after her rejection of Weinstein and subsequently confiding in then-partner Brad Pitt (who, in turn, confronted Weinstein) was warned not to tell anyone else. “I thought he was going to fire me” she told The New York Times.

But requesting massages was only the tip of the iceberg. Further claims reveal that whether or not they agreed to massage him, he would soon get aggressive; grabbing, groping, chasing and masturbating in front of the dozens of women that he lured to his room. If he got his way, he would soon force them to do sexual acts, with most lamenting the experiences as extremely traumatising and some others (who successfully rebuffed him) regarding it as an encounter that ended their careers.

In a statement, Weinstein’s spokeswoman said “Any allegations of non-consensual sex are unequivocally denied by Mr Weinstein. Mr Weinstein has further confirmed that there were never any acts of retaliation against any women for refusing his advances” and that he “ believes that all of these relationships were consensual”. As the reports against him continue to grow, potential legal action may soon be taken against Harvey Weinstein, who is now estranged from his wife and has been dismissed by his company.

 

The fast and furious fight of the ages continues

Dwayne Johnson & Tyrese Gibson / Picture courtesy of Getty Images

Moving on to a much more trivial matter, the row between Tyrese Gibson and Dwayne Johnson continues.

As covered last weekFast & Furious actor Tyrese Gibson has repeatedly voiced his displeasure about Fast and Furious being pushed back to 2020 to accomodate a 2019 release date for the Rock’s Fast and Furious spin-off film, in which he is expected to co-star with Jason Statham.

Well, apparently two raving Instagram posts weren’t enough, as this week, the raving continues.

In response to Gibson’s posts last week, Johnson subtly threw some shade at Gibson with the hashtag #CandyAssesNeedNotApply:

Daddy’s gotta go back to work ~ Hobbs. Pumped to expand and build out the FAST & FURIOUS universe in a cool, exciting way with our @sevenbucksprod, writer/producer Chris Morgan, producer Hiram Garcia and lead producer and my bigger twin, Neal Moritz. Thank you UNIVERSAL STUDIOS for being tremendous partners who see the big picture and for coming to us years ago with this spinoff idea. Huge shout to my brother, Jason Statham for the trust and wanting to create and deliver something fresh and bad ass for the fans. I have a tremendous amount of respect for this franchise that I’ve enjoyed droppin’ blood and sweat in over the years and my vision is to create greater opportunities for not only my fellow FF cast mates, but for other amazing actors as well who want to be a part of something new and cool. I want to use my spinoff platform to create new characters that fans will ultimately love to have fun with in multiple chapters and platforms. Film, TV, Digital, Virtual Reality etc.. the more opportunities we can create the better for the fans. Smart business. Let’s have some FUN and to quote, Hobbs the boss, if you don’t like it, we’re happy to beat that ass like a Cherokee drum. #HOBBS #SevenBucksProds #NewOpportunities #CandyAssesNeedNotApply JULY 2019

A post shared by therock (@therock) on

After this, Gibson had a far more mellowed interview with TMZ from the window of his limo, in which he denied that he was attacking Johnson… before attacking Johnson:

But the heat was pushed up to the max once more as he went on to share a video from 2015 of Johnson tearing apart his album Black Rose. Some claim it’s done in jest, but whether that’s the case or not, Tyrese is really just giving himself bad publicity here:

He later became an Uber driver (yeah, I don’t know what’s going on anymore either), explaining to his audience that “everything counts”, no doubt referring to the fact his next big paycheck has been pushed back a year thanks to Johnson:

I'm undercover this is carpool but it ain't karaoke I don't think he like me #UberX

A post shared by TYRESE (@tyrese) on

Seems like Tyrese still doesn’t like what The Rock is cooking.

The Fast & Furious spin-off races into cinemas on July 26th 2019.

 

New Mutants takes the X-Men franchise into full-on horror territory

Picture courtesy of Marvel Comics

We’ve done the news. Now it’s time for the trailers.

After seventeen years of X-Men movies, and with their main stars having exited the franchise after Logan, the powerhouse superhero film series is starting to mix things up a bit. We got a touch of this with Deadpool, and a little bit more with Logan, but as the next film in the series, New Mutants, arrives, we’ll not only be seeing darker stories, but stories set in a whole different genre from the usual superhero/science-fiction that we’re used to.

Well, I say a whole different genre. It would be more accurate to say that it’s just getting another genre added on, namely horror.

That’s right. On top of being part of the science-fiction subgenre of superhero movies, New Mutants will be a horror film; featuring horror tropes from the setting and antagonists to the actors themselves. Jumping over from Stranger Things and Split respectively, Charlie Heaton and Anya Taylor-Joy are part of a star-studded cast of young actors who make up the titular New Mutants. You can see what’s new about both them and the film in the trailer below:

If the film is a success we’ll be getting a lot more of this new kind of superhero film. Director Josh Boone told IGN, “we brought it to FOX as a trilogy of films, really all based on that long run by [comic-book writer] Sienkiewicz, and kind of incorporates some stuff from later issues in the ‘80s. These are all going to be horror movies, and they’re all be their own distinct kind of horror movies. This is certainly the ‘rubber-reality’ supernatural horror movie. The next one will be a completely different kind of horror movie.”

New Mutants breaks into cinemas on April 13th 2018.

 

The Last Jedi trailer teases Rey’s turn to the Dark Side

Adam Driver / Picture courtesy of Lucasfilm

While New Mutants is all well and good, it’s no Star Wars. And actual news aside, the biggest part of this weeks film news was the release of the first full The Last Jedi trailer.

The trailer does a great job of contrasting the Light Side with the Dark by primarily focusing on the two major players of the franchise going forward, Daisy Ridley’s Rey and Adam Driver’s Kylo Ren.

It’s packed with juicy details, like hints of Rey turning to the dark side, Kylo killing his mother, Leia, and a better understanding of Luke’s hesitancy to train Rey. However, it also gives us an update on all our other favourite characters; Chewbacca, Finn, Poe, Phasma and even Snoke in all his golden-hued glory. While newcomers played by Laura Dern, Kelly Marie Tran and Benicio del Toro are absent, we do get a wealth of others things; a sense of the scale of the new AT-M6 walkers, updated designs for AT-ATs, AT-STs and even a look at Kylo Ren’s TIE Silencer. 

The editing of the trailer is also impressive in and of itself; the way it evokes certain feelings and mixes the score with the sound effects is a job well done. It’s also likely to make you fall in love with the Porgs, if you haven’t already. 

You can see for yourself in the trailer below:

Star Wars: The Last Jedi flies into cinemas on December 15th 2017.

(60 days to go!)