“(1/2) The past ten years have been quite the trek, but as of earlier today I have asked for my release from @WWE
(2/2) I’ll speak further on the matter shortly. Thank you to all the pro-wrestling/sports entertainment fans worldwide. Thank you” – @PrinceCGR
On May the 21st the Wrestling world was shocked to see these tweets appear on the timeline of @PrinceCGR aka Cody Rhodes, then later retweeted by @Stardust, Cody Rhodes alter ego in the promotion.
Immediately speculation filled social media of what this mean’t, was actually Cody Rhodes asking for his release? Was Cody Rhodes but not his alter ego wanting to be released? or was this an attempt to use social media to further a possible storyline? Social media was filled with speculations and judgements towards the situation and WWE. Then on social media, Rhodes sent another tweet:
“All the reports I’ve seen are 100% false & just speculation. Hope to provide answers by this evening.” – @PrinceCGR
A few hours later WWE.com released this two sentence statement.
“WWE has come to terms on the release of Cody Rhodes as of today, May 22, 2016. WWE wishes Rhodes the best in all his future endeavors.”
In the last hour, Rhodes took to social media again with a two page statement on his departure, reading it answers any questions that fans many have on his departure, but raises questions of the writers in WWE, and there have been critics of their recent actions and the story lines that they have been giving to wrestlers in the last year.
One thing that can be said regarding the future of Rhodes is that he continues to wrestle as said in the last sentence of his statement, “As far as the future is concerned, I’m a wrestler. So that’s what I’ll do…wrestle.”
But I’m sure as he has now answered the questions of why he asked for his release, the speculation will now begin on where he will wrestle next, TNA, ROH or maybe another promotion, either way, Rhodes is an amazing talent, with a legacy in his own right and any promotion will be lucky to have him join their ranks.